When processing a work permit, one of the things you will need to know is the NOC code that your new job will have. The government of Canada utilizes the NOC to classify jobs (occupations); each occupation in Canada matches somehow.

What does a NOC Occupation have?

Each occupation describes in the NOC at least shows:

  • Main group:
    • Type 0 focused on management jobs
    • Type A professional jobs that need a degree from a university
    • Type B technical jobs that need a college diploma or training
    • Type C intermediate jobs that need high school or job-specific training. If your occupation belongs to this group, you will need a special program such as the Atlantic Immigration Pilot or provincial nomination.
    • Type D labour jobs. If your occupation belongs to this group, you will need a provincial nomination.
  • Main duties
  • Employment requirements, including education and experience

What's the Relationship with the Work Permit?

When requesting for a work permit, regardless if it is an LMIA-exception or not, it is a must to specify the NOC occupation id. As explained before, the classification shows the minimum experience and education you must have. For example, let's review NOC 2171 Information system analyst and consultant. According to the NOC, the applicant should have a bachelor's degree in computer science, computer system engineering, software engineering, business administrator or related or college program in computer science (Please note that in Canada, college and university are different levels of education). Some work experience and some related certifications may be needed as well. Therefore, if the new candidate holds a computer engineering degree and some related certifications then he/she will fit perfectly.

Remember that all claims must be backed up all time. If the NOC specifies a related education degree then proper documentation must be appended to fulfill the requirement. The same applies to certifications and training courses. Experience requirements can be satisfied with reference letters from past jobs.

The more Specialized the Easier to Find a Job

Sad but true. Let's see why. Canada is a country where the minimum wage actually is enough for one person to live. Since high-school is free for everybody and group C or D jobs do no need any kind of post-secondary studies, everybody in Canada may qualify for that; this doesn't mean everybody applies but there is a lot of candidates.

Since a C or D group job doesn't need a higher qualification, it is easy for any student and uneducated native to fulfill the requirements. Not to mention high-school students who are always looking for a summer job or part-time for the whole year. There is really a competence high.

Specific task jobs (group B) or specialized jobs (group A and 0) are more difficult to fulfill in Canada. Not everybody does everybody (in fact, a know-it-all person is not a good thing in Canada). Therefore, it is easier for a foreign national to satisfy an opening. However, don't forget, the more specialized the less competency.

As a foreign national (not PR, not citizen), you are always in a disadvantage when competing for an opening. PRs and citizens do not have to prof against the NOC for qualifications. If the employer likes the PR or citizen application, they do not need to prof. A national foreign must proof to the government that the qualifications are enough for the job according to the information in the NOC. Also, some occupations are regulated by the government, mainly the health care sector.

So, a foreign national's strategy should be focusing on some very specific areas of professional life. Be the best on one kind of job.

What's the Relationship with the Express Entry?

When entering your express entry profile, there is a question that asks about what is the NOC occupation you do the most. This question is very important as it is responsible for establishing the minimum requirements to qualify.

Regarding the language and education: Group 0, A and B occupations requires a CLB 7+ and college degree (or better) to be eligible. Group C and D occupations require CLB 5+ and high school finished (or better) to be eligible.

Regarding the experience: the selected NOC occupation must match with the reference letters. If all professional life has been IT related, it doesn't make sense if an input of a maid NOC number.

blog comments powered by Disqus


Katapulta is the project that will help you to visit, study, work or live in Canada.

We share information on many cities in Canada, how to write a proper resume, the process of obtaining or getting certain documents for Canada, myths and facts and much more information coming from experience or common questions.