1. What is the eTA?
    eTA (electronic travel authorization) is an automatic system that allows Canadian authorities to assess passengers before their arrival in Canada in order to decide if they can enter the country and if this trip involves a security risk. 
  2. Can I enter Canada with the eTA visa?
    The eTA is not a visa, it is an authorization. It does not guarantee entry to Canada but allows the foreign citizen to travel to the Canadian port of entry, where an immigration agent authorizes or rejects admission to Canada.
  3. Why do the Canadian authorities request an eTA?
    Prior to the eTA program, Canada's ability to assess international visitors was limited. Citizens from visa-free countries were not inspected until they reached the port of entry into Canada. The Canadian authorities allow all travelers or designated third parties to send a secure travel authorization request electronically, available on their website. Once all the information and data of the trip have been sent, the authorities will analyze the information and decide if the visitor meets all the requirements and can obtain an electronic authorization to travel to Canada. The system will respond automatically before the departure date. The airline will verify with the Canadian authorities the concession of the eTA.
  4. What are the requirements to travel to Canada under the eTA program?
    1. Be a citizen of a country exempt from the obligation to obtain a temporary residence visa
    2. Have a valid passport
    3. Have sufficient funds to pay for your stay in Canada
    4. Convince the immigration policy of the links you have with your country (for example, work, studies, real estate or financial assets) as a guarantee of your return
  5. Which countries can opt for an eTA?
    At the moment there are 45 countries that do not need a visa to go to Canada, Germany, Andorra, Antigua and Barbuda, Australia, Austria, Bahamas, Barbados, Belgium, Brunei, British Citizens, British Citizens of ultra-sea territories, South Korea, Croatia, Chile, Cyprus, Denmark, Slovakia, Slovenia Spain, Estonia, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Ireland, Iceland, Solomon Islands, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Liechtentein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Mexico, Monaco Norway, New Zealand, The Netherlands, Papua New Guinea, Poland, Portugal, Czech Republic, Permanent Residents of the USA, Samoa, San Marino, Singapore, Sweden, Switzerland.
  6. How long is the validity of my travel authorization?
    The approved eTA lasts five years from the date of issue, as long as the passport does not expire beforehand, in which case the passport expiration date will apply.
  7. Can I request an eTA for the whole family?
    No, the eTA is individual. They must make a request for each member, including minors.
  8. What do I do if my travel authorization is not approved?
    If you are denied the eTA, you can apply for a visa or temporary residence at the nearest Canadian visa processing agency.
blog comments powered by Disqus


Katapulta is the project that will help you to visit, study, work or live in Canada.

We share information on many cities in Canada, how to write a proper resume, the process of obtaining or getting certain documents for Canada, myths and facts and much more information coming from experience or common questions.