Do you need to take an exam to apply for University?

There is no exam to take to be accepted into a university in Canada. Each institution establishes its own standards or admission regulations. In addition, the qualifications and conditions of each application are taken into account individually.

Each university determines, according to its own guidelines, the equivalence that it will award to the academic degrees that the foreign student brings. In addition, being a foreign student, each university imposes the type of English exam.

What are the requirements to obtain a study permit?

To obtain a study permit in Canada, the candidate must meet a series of requirements and submit several documents that are described below:

  • Have and present a current passport
  • Submit two recent photographs (passport size) of the applicant. The name and date of birth of the person must be written on the back of each photo.
    Demonstrate that acceptance has been received from a school, college or university in Canada, presenting the acceptance letter, which must have a name, date of birth, student postal address, the course for which has been accepted for, the estimated duration or date of completion of the course, the date on which the course begins; the deadline for the student to enroll in the course; the academic year the student will enter; if the course is full-time or part-time; study fees; any condition related to acceptance; Accurate identification of the educational institution. The letter must be signed by an authorized representative of the institution.
  • Be in good health and be willing to demonstrate it by undergoing a medical examination.
  • Prove that there is no criminal record and that there is no risk to the security of Canada. The applicant must present a police certificate.
  • Present evidence of returning to the country of origin after completing the studies.
  • Present proof that you have the money necessary to pay for your studies and your stay, then list the documents that are accepted:
    • Proof of the opening of a Canadian bank account in the name of the applicant and the transfer of funds to Canada
    • Evidence that you have a student loan from a financial institution
    • Evidence that you have a scholarship or that you are enrolled in an educational support program funded by Canada
    • Bank statements of the applicant for the last four months
    • Proof of payment of the university registration

What do I do if the applicant is a minor?

If you are a minor (usually under 18, but this may vary from one province to another), proof of custody is required in Canada. A notarized declaration signed by his / her parent or legal guardian in the country of origin must be provided AND a notarized declaration signed by his / her custodian in Canada indicating that adequate arrangements have been made for the custodian in Canada to act in place of the parent in emergency situations, such as when medical attention or intervention is required. For younger children, a broader statement may be required. Broad statements should indicate that the custodian is not only responsible at times of emergency but also for daily care and supervision.

What do I need to obtain a study permit for Quebec?

To study in Quebec, at all levels of education, in addition to the study permit, you must obtain a Certificate of Acceptance or CAQ, for its acronym in French "Certificat d'acceptation du Québec", issued by the Government of Quebec.

The application for this certificate can be made online through the official website of the Ministry of Immigration and Cultural Communities of Quebec.

How much does a study permit cost?

The study permit cost $150 Canadian dollars.

How long can you stay in Canada with a study permit?

A study permit is generally valid for the duration of your study program, plus an additional 90 days. This additional time allows you to prepare to leave Canada or request to extend your stay. If you cannot complete your courses before the date of your permit, you must request to extend your stay as a student. If you finish your studies early, your permit will no longer be valid 90 days after you complete your studies (no matter what day is printed on the study permit). You have completed your studies either on the date you receive the first notification from your school (such as an email, letter, transcript, etc.) or when you obtain your degree, diploma or certificate. You should try to provide proof of the date you obtained one of these. Note: If you cannot prove the date your school first notified you, we will use the oldest issue date in the document. We may have to confirm this date with your school. If your school asked you to take some courses before you are accepted into the main program (conditional acceptance), only the study permit is issued for the duration of these courses. When accepted into the main program, you may request to extend your stay as a student from Canada.

Is it necessary to have medical insurance?

Although it is not a requirement to obtain a study permit, it is important that before travelling the interested party obtains insurance that provides adequate coverage during their stay. Medical care and hospital fees for illness or accident in Canada can be very high.

In most of the Canadian provinces, foreign students are not covered by the health insurance system. Each province has different systems. Alberta, British Columbia and Saskatchewan have health plans for foreign students, for which they must register with the institution that administers the provincial medical insurance, in order to guarantee their obtaining.

The provinces of Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island and Quebec do not cover international students in their medical plans. In these cases, international coverage insurance must be obtained before leaving the country of origin.

We hope with reading this it has helped you answer some questions concerning study permits.

blog comments powered by Disqus


Katapulta is the project that will help you to visit, study, work or live in Canada.

We share information on many cities in Canada, how to write a proper resume, the process of obtaining or getting certain documents for Canada, myths and facts and much more information coming from experience or common questions.