International Student

An international student is a foreign national who attend to a Canadian school. An international student will need a study permit to attend any post-secondary institution.

Post-secondary schools

Post-secondary schools are:

  • colleges
  • universities
  • private career colleges and
  • vocational and technical schools.

Each post-secondary school has its own set of rules on how to apply, including the level of English or French you need to be accepted.

Language schools

Many schools in Canada teach English or French as a second language. However, not all the language courses may qualify for a work permit.

Work Permit for Students

Study permit holders may ask for a work permit with some restrictions such as the number of hours allowed to work. However, not all the programs qualify for a work permit. Most language programs or study programs with less than a year length do not qualify.

Designated Learning Institutions List
Educational Credential Assessment (ECA)
Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA)
Frequently Asked Questions about the eTA
How to get an eTA?
How to Obtain a Study Permit?
Immigration and Citizenship
Immigration and Refugee Protection Act (S.C. 2001, c. 27)
What Schools are Authorized to Host International Students?


Katapulta es el proyecto que te ayudará a visitar, estudiar, trabajar o vivir en Canadá.

Compartimos información sobre muchas ciudades en Canadá, cómo escribir un currículum vitae adecuado, el proceso de obtención u obtención de ciertos documentos para Canadá, mitos y hechos, y mucha más información proveniente de experiencias o preguntas comunes.