As explained on the official website of the Government of Canada:

An Electronic Travel Authorization (TA) is an entry requirement for visa-exempt foreign nationals travelling to Canada by air. An eTA is electronically linked to a traveller’s passport. It is valid for up to five years or until the passport expires, whichever comes first. If you get a new passport, you need to get a new eTA.

This means an eTA is not:

  • a granted permission to get into Canada
  • a work permit
  • a study permit

An eTA is just an authorization to travel to Canada. Think as a requirement to get on the airplane. When arriving, you will still need to proove to the immigration officer your intentions to stay in the country.

What are the eTA Requirements?

  • Credit Card or Debit Card with Visa or Mastercard logo
  • A valid passport form a visa-exempt country
  • eMail account

How do I get the eTA?

An eTA is not a physical document. It is an electronic authorization linked to your passport number (if you change passport, you will need to apply for a new eTA). When the Government of Canada approves your eTA application (usually in minutes), you will get an email with some information. Although it is not a must to print it, some airlines will ask for it in order to let you get on the plane.


  • You do not need third-party services to get an eTA.
  • eTA's fee is seven Canadian dollars


blog comments powered by Disqus


Katapulta is the project that will help you to visit, study, work or live in Canada.

We share information on many cities in Canada, how to write a proper resume, the process of obtaining or getting certain documents for Canada, myths and facts and much more information coming from experience or common questions.